2 replies to this topic

#1 pkozukova

pkozukova

Community Manager

• Administrators
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

Hi friends,

As I`m a huge history fan and I often read less known facts. Today I came across to this interesting article about the Biggest Mistakes In World War 2. - http://www.2worldwar2.com/mistakes.htm and wanted to ask for your opinion.

For me the biggest among all described mistakes are: Hitler's total war, but not in the home front and the War against America.

What do you think? What are the biggest mistakes in WW2?

#2 Parker203

Parker203

Platoon Lead

• Leutenant
  • 209 posts
  • LocationGO WALES GO!

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:32 PM

Hitlers biggest mistake was in my opinion stopping the Battle of Britain. If he had continued and destroyed the Royal Navy with their superior air power when the RAF were crushed (which they were before they started the Blitz) then he could have easily invaded Britain as difficult as it would have been. Then there would have been no reason for Hitler to invade Russia until a later date. This would have also negated a two way front as the USA would have to travel thousands of miles in order to even think about doing a landing invasion. If they did, they would have to do it from Africa and without Montgomery it would have been difficult, as he was on par with the Desert Fox.

In the long run, Germany would most probably have lost anyway, even if it would be a much longer war by many years probably. Without threats of bombings from Britain, the production could have been significantly higher throughout all the war, weapons could be developed and a much better and less rushed plan laid out. If they invaded the Soviet Union later on, the Soviets would have probably developed much heavier and better armed (albeit much slower and less mechanically reliable) vehicles, such as the KV-3 and KV-4 which was in the prototype stages but had to be abandoned due to Hitlers invasion of 1941. With the invasion much later and an emerging threat, the Soviets would have boosted production and new tanks emerged. Germany then had very little plans to create much better vehicles, with such tanks as the Panther created as a response to the well protected Russian tanks so they would still probably have the Pz IV and Pz III as their main battle tanks.

Their air force would have been far better upgraded and would have easily destroyed teh Soviet land forces. Declaring war on America would have been inevitable at the time anyway on the same exact date, as they did so after Pearl Harbor was attacked. That was a big mistake and that sleeping giant would have production levels that Germany would never have been able to match. By the time of an American attack, it would either be coming from Africa, a very stupid approach from the Atlantic or maybe possibly even from the Eastern Front through Siberia.

However, due to Hitler stopping the Battle of Britain, he invaded the Soviet Union creating a 2 way front. With Britain out of the way supplies heading to Russia (which without these supplies the Soviet Union would have most likely fallen) would have been far difficult, enabling a swifter and far more potent attack into the motherland.

Anyhow, this is all in my opinion and I have literally done zero research to back this up, but I am in a rush at the moment so it will have to make do

Student, no money, no experience in making games, PHD at nothing

#3 nikolay

nikolay

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:17 PM

Speaking about the Battle of Britain and Americans… IMHO if it was obvious that Britain is going to be successfully invaded then US would have reacted immediately by entering the war. US already had stated to provide a vast support with ships, war materials and intelligence. Somehow it’s hard to believe that they would have allowed their closest ally to perish knowing what the consequence would be.  Also it’s sounds unlikely that they were so unprepared for war in 1940 or such isolationist as they pretended to be.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: the, biggest, mistakes, in, ww2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users