• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Community Manager

Community Manager

C&C Officer

• Moderators
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:05 PM

This is an ongoing discussion, but there is an idea that games can be art.

Now, when people have this discussion, they're not talking about the fact that games look good or not (because that's not actually what art is about), but rather whether games have the kind of deeper meanings that people who are so inclined to get philosophical about art can get stuck into... or to put it simply, the question is whether there's enough artistic merit to the themes of games that people can legitimately study them to the same depth that people could study, say, literature, at universities and the like.

There are some journalists out there that insist that games are not art. Just last week Jonathan Jones claimed as such in a brief article on The Guardian: http://www.theguardi....ideo-games-art

So that's the question I'd like to ask - do you believe that games have artistic merit (beyond the visuals, I'm talking theme and philosophy), or do you think that games are entertainment, and entertainment alone (like a sport, for instance)?

#2 the_prophet1987

the_prophet1987

Platoon Lead

• Leutenant
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:34 PM

Yes i believe they are because:

1) Art is something creative like painting,music and movies.Why gaming is not art according to the journalists,it's not creative enough?Game Developers draw stuff in the computer instead of paintings but it's the same logic.Not to mention those creations are moving and interacting with the player.Creativity can be found in many forms from mindless action games to more sophisticated and complex games.

2) Art is something the artist is using to pass on something to the people,an idea.There are games that used like that by their devs like Metal Gear Solid series.Hideo Kojima is trying to pass on to the people a message about nukes.Do i need to remind you Snake's cigarette disposal device in MGS4,message about Environment polution and so on.There are tons of other examples that i need a list to write them all lol.

So yeah i believe gaming is art! :)

#3 Community Manager

Community Manager

C&C Officer

• Moderators
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

Yes i believe they are because:

1) Art is something creative like painting,music and movies.Why gaming is not art according to the journalists,it's not creative enough?Game Developers draw stuff in the computer instead of paintings but it's the same logic.Not to mention those creations are moving and interacting with the player.Creativity can be found in many forms from mindless action games to more sophisticated and complex games.

2) Art is something the artist is using to pass on something to the people,an idea.There are games that used like that by their devs like Metal Gear Solid series.Hideo Kojima is trying to pass on to the people a message about nukes.Do i need to remind you Snake's cigarette disposal device in MGS4,message about Environment polution and so on.There are tons of other examples that i need a list to write them all lol.

So yeah i believe gaming is art! :)

Very good point of view. I`m totally agree with you, because behind each game there is a huge team of different people, who create something new and something different from the rest of other competitors. That is why there is such a serious protection of copyrights in gaming industry. If this is present so, yes games are art.

#4 the_prophet1987

the_prophet1987

Platoon Lead

• Leutenant
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:54 PM

Yes these people are artists,you guys are artist now that you creating War Cabinet.No matter if people will like your game or not it's still a work of art. ;)

• pkozukova likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: do, you, believe, games, are, art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users