8 replies to this topic

#1 Community Manager

Community Manager

C&C Officer

• Moderators
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

Guys,

What do you think about minefields in strategy games? How they should operate, what damage they could cause and how they could influence the military units.

What equipment you would use to investigate their accurate location?

#2 the_prophet1987

the_prophet1987

Platoon Lead

• Leutenant
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:28 PM

I never used them in any strategy game but that doesn't mean they're useless,many other people might using them,although i use AT and AP mines in most FPS games.

I like the ArmA 3 investigate part.1 unit-soldier engineer class i think,he has a mine detector and he can see the mines from a distance and disarm them if he has to.You can use a different unit for the investigate part and another unit for the disarming part or 1 unit for both,your call. ;)

• pkozukova likes this

#3 Zandatsu

Zandatsu

Sergeant

• Chief Engineers
  • 107 posts
  • LocationCoventry, United Kingdom

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:32 PM

I long for a game that has Minelayers on land and at sea, they are great for defensive purposes.

techsigv2fx8.png

#4 Parker203

Parker203

Platoon Lead

• Leutenant
  • 209 posts
  • LocationGO WALES GO!

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:57 AM

They are an absolute annoyance in Men Of War, but they do a bloody good job of delaying or halting my troops entirely until I can get engineers to clear it! AT mines should completely annihilate a tank, but sometimes it doesn't. AP mines are brilliant though

• the_prophet1987 likes this
Student, no money, no experience in making games, PHD at nothing

#5 Orm

Orm

Rookie

• Chief Engineers
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:16 PM

I think that a minefield should be shown automatically as a unit enters it. Then you could have the option to move normal speed on through the minefield and take damage. Otherwise you could advance slowly through the minefield for no or low damage. And lastly stay or retreat for no damage at all. In a strategic game I see minefields mostly as a means to slow the enemy down rather than do a lot of damage.

#6 nikolay

nikolay

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:07 PM

Good points Orm.

#7 Parker203

Parker203

Platoon Lead

• Leutenant
  • 209 posts
  • LocationGO WALES GO!

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:18 PM

I think that a minefield should be shown automatically as a unit enters it. Then you could have the option to move normal speed on through the minefield and take damage. Otherwise you could advance slowly through the minefield for no or low damage. And lastly stay or retreat for no damage at all. In a strategic game I see minefields mostly as a means to slow the enemy down rather than do a lot of damage.

I kind of disagree I have to be honest. It doesn't matter how quickly or slowly you move through a minefield, the mines are still there and they will detonate regardless of how quickly you advance. This is why minefields were so effective, unless you had engineers with minesweepers or you know how to locate mines, your squad, platoon, army, whatever it was and however large the minefield was, you were stopped, end of story.

This is why engineers are so important

• the_prophet1987 likes this

#8 nikolay

nikolay

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:12 PM

Engineers and minefields should be closely tied, no doubt about it.

I believe the relation between speed and lethality that Orm is referring to is bound to detection and further action when encounter minefield. For example: tank battalion hit minefield and 2 of its vehicles are out. Supposedly this unit has kind of organic engineer section which starts to do their jobs. Armor continues to move on, but with greatly reduced speed due to need to wait for engineers to clear secure paths. If you decide to ignore the danger and continue with full speed without leaving engineers to do defuse, than its sound logical that you will suffer more. At least this is how understood the statement.

• Parker203 and the_prophet1987 like this

#9 Parker203

Parker203

Platoon Lead

• Leutenant
  • 209 posts
  • LocationGO WALES GO!

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:20 AM

Ah, I understand a bit now

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minefields, in, strategy, games

0 user(s) are reading this topic