7 replies to this topic

#1 Community Manager

Community Manager

C&C Officer

• Moderators
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:46 PM

Hi guys,

Is it necessary to put firing range functionality in the heavy combat equipment part of War Cabinet game? What should be the firing range for the different vehicles?

I personally believe that this is very important functionality, which would affect my tactical and strategical perfomance. For me it would be vital to know what is the firing range of the tanks and other battle equipment. For instance in some games the tanks firing range is approx. 1500m and knowing that can easily build my maneuvers in order to win the battle.

What do you think?

#2 Parker203

Parker203

Platoon Lead

• Leutenant
  • 209 posts
  • LocationGO WALES GO!

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

I think it should be detailed and accurate, but if you don't have the time for it on day one release, maybe as updates later on.

Small arms definitely rank lowest on the scale, with direct fire cannons (i.e. tank cannons) come second and then artillery and missiles  etc. 

Assault rifles, depending on the model should really have about 800 metres maximum with the full rifle round (7.62 mm) and around 600 for the 5.56. Sniper rifles could shoot at around 1,500 metres, machine guns would be the same as the assault rifle but with the heavy round (i.e. 12.7 mm, 14.5 mm) up to about 1,800 metres. Rocket launchers possible about 100 - 200 metres. Pistols would be around 30 metres and sub-machine guns around 30 - 100 metres. But these can all change depending on the specifics of the weapon used and the amount of training the person who has used it and how trained the person is in general. For example an elite unit would be able to fire farther more accurately with less rounds being wasted than regular infantry, and they in turn would be far better than militia.

Cannons are a bit more tricky. Certain rounds fire farther than others because of the projectile. But that could possibly be implemented later if you want to go into real detail. 105 mm cannons (i.e. L7) could have a maximum effective range of around 2,000 metres, whereas 120 mm guns (i.e. L11) would be around 2,500 metres. 100 mm guns would be about 1,600 metres (they were not effective at range, inaccurate) and the 115 mm and 125 mm guns would be about the same as the 120 mm guns.

Artillery would be 15 - 20 km+, not sure how far each model would go.

Missiles would be roughly around 5,000 metres if not farther. 

• the_prophet1987 likes this
Student, no money, no experience in making games, PHD at nothing

#3 nikolay

nikolay

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

What kind of missiles with range 5000+?

#4 Parker203

Parker203

Platoon Lead

• Leutenant
  • 209 posts
  • LocationGO WALES GO!

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:18 AM

What kind of missiles with range 5000+?

The 9M119 for example that is fired out of the barrel of a 125 mm 2A46 cannon. It has a range of around 5,000 metres and a maximum of 8,000.

The 9K121 can also fire 5,000 m and depending on how it is fired (i.e. from helicopter) even farther. It is fired from ships and aircraft

• pkozukova likes this

#5 nikolay

nikolay

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:59 PM

I see. For air launch missiles of this class 5km is fine although is close to max range and it’s rarely employed at this distance.

For land based vehicles and missiles like Konkurs, Reflecs and TOW I was thinking of effective range of about 2000 to 3000m

IMO effective range should be leading not maximum. What do you think?

#6 Parker203

Parker203

Platoon Lead

• Leutenant
  • 209 posts
  • LocationGO WALES GO!

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

I see. For air launch missiles of this class 5km is fine although is close to max range and it’s rarely employed at this distance.

For land based vehicles and missiles like Konkurs, Reflecs and TOW I was thinking of effective range of about 2000 to 3000m

IMO effective range should be leading not maximum. What do you think?

I agree. If it is maximum range you could fire off shells willy nilly and everntually kill everyone! But then again, if you will include limited ammo it is a risk. But overall, effective range should be maximum range

#7 Orm

Orm

Rookie

• Chief Engineers
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

I disagree with that effective range is maximum range.

Even with unlimited ammunition there are disadvantages with firing at maximum range.

At the same time I do think that at times it is needed to take a crappy long range shoot and just pray for luck. For example if you know that you will never be able to take a shoot at effective range it could be better to fire at max range and then try to relocate.

#8 nikolay

nikolay

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:38 AM

Orm, what you suggest is pretty realistic behavior. This could be handled well by human player. However, if we want AI capable of taking such decisions it will be hell of a challenge.

In the end we strive not to provide too many advantages of traditionally strong human player against the AI.  You are risking to win too easy and too fast ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users