nikolay

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:18 AM

Hi,

Tought you will be intrested to discuss around game AI

My humble experience in RTS and TBS…

There are a quite a big number of conditions for AI to look for in order to be “good” (like comparison of battle stats, defense bonuses, current strengths, detection and engagement ranges, weapon type, allies & enemies nearby, etc)

It is more of a challenge from design perspective to properly list all important conditions, behaviors’ and well balanced reaction thresholds. Once this is set up as schemas and functions then programming tackles begin to kick-in.

There more conditions and situation you push to implement the higher the change some condition will go wrong, will be missed at all and this of course will lead to annoying in-game situation. For sake of the discussion let’s assume conditions and responses were set up top notch and you have AI character/unit that appears “intelligent„ and deliver to you nice amount of challenge. Congratulations you have excellent AI for you Character class/Unit. But wait a minute… I have so many different character/unit classes, special traits and so many weapon types. Yeah, I will need to customize AI for most of them.

Now we have some awesome AI let’s do some combat in RTS. Ops AI need to calculate most of his condition every frame in order this to be really efficient. We have a CPU performance issues. OK then let’s reduce condition checking to every second, but not every frame. Well it appears this is not frequent enough. AI is not as good as we wanted.

At some point you are asking, how much time do I need to invest to get my “good” AI opponents

IMO Human will continue to vastly dominate strategically in games. Glad that this is still the case.

Found very good discussion on this topic: http://www.strategyc...have-decent-ai/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AI, War Cabinet AI, Game AI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users